I ran on several JDK versions, all on Ubuntu Linux. The machine was
fairly heavily loaded (I was copying one filesystem to another at the
time).

Here's the error from OpenJDK10:

[INFO] Running org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time
elapsed: 0.001 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest
[ERROR] org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest  Time elapsed:
0.001 s  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest.initCassandraIfEnabled(CassandraAdapterTest.java:106)
        at
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest.<clinit>(CassandraAdapterTest.java:56)
Caused by: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: begin 0, end -1, length 5
        at
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest.initCassandraIfEnabled(CassandraAdapterTest.java:106)
        at
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest.<clinit>(CassandraAdapterTest.java:56)

Here's the error in JDK 11:

[INFO] Running org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time
elapsed: 0 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest
[ERROR] org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest  Time elapsed: 0
s  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest.enabled(CassandraAdapterTest.java:81)
        at
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest.initCassandraIfEnabled(CassandraAdapterTest.java:88)
        at
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest.<clinit>(CassandraAdapterTest.java:56)

Here's the failure from JDK 9:

[INFO] Running org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time
elapsed: 0.001 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest
[ERROR] org.apache.calcite.test.CassandraAdapterTest  Time elapsed:
0.001 s  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: Cassandra daemon did not start within timeout

Here's the failure from JDK 10:

[INFO] Running org.apache.calcite.jdbc.CalciteRemoteDriverTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 28, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time
elapsed: 0.642 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.calcite.jdbc.CalciteRemoteDriverTest
[ERROR] testRemoteExecuteQuery(org.apache.calcite.jdbc.CalciteRemoteDriverTest)
 Time elapsed: 0.047 s  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError:

Expected: "EXPR$0=1; EXPR$1=a\nEXPR$0=null; EXPR$1=b"
     but: was ""
        at
org.apache.calcite.jdbc.CalciteRemoteDriverTest.testRemoteExecuteQuery(CalciteRemoteDriverTest.java:280)

In conclusion: It's worrying that the suite shows 4 different cracks
under 4 different JDKs. Clearly the load on my machine was making
problems worse, and granted, the problems are just testing problems,
not real bugs. But flaky test suites waste time and effort. There are
indications that the new embedded Cassandra test is more flaky than
most.

Julian