I remember when I was doing some old benchmarks, I had to build some custom logic to get writes happening at a decent speed (some basic batching and avoiding deserializing things when I could). I'm sure there is much more we can do here, especially around our HTTP transport.

My impression is that Arrow can support the same kind of protocol evolution that protobuf also allows (that's the big reason we chose it the first time).