Thanks for starting this discussion, Michael!

The Calcite project and it's Avatica sub project has been doing really well in the past year under your stewardship. I have seen a lot of new contributors who are highly motivated and we also added new committers.

In terms of what we are doing well, I feel that the community is something we've managed really well. Newcomers and people with questions generally have questions answered quickly and I have seen quite a few threads with in-depth discussion on new and interesting use-cases for Calcite. Our git repositories are also quite active (Avatica and Avatica-Go less so) and I think this is a testament to our community and the flatness of the learning curve for new contributors to contribute to the project.

In terms of what we need to do better, I think the load on Julian is still quite high (although much better than the previous years). I also hope more contributors and committers can help us review PRs (you don't need to be a committer to review!). I also feel that we should maintain a release cadence for the project, otherwise we might end up in a position where there hasn't been a new release for a while (Avatica had a 10 month gap between 1.10.0 and 1.11.0). I know Julian has been asking for release managers for a release of Calcite + Avatica in late October and I think we should try to see if we can get a release out for both projects soon. There has also been some discussion on the list regarding the appropriate tone to use in the community. All I want to say regarding this is to be kind and understanding and try not to be too stressed out if a proposal is not perfect.

Francis