Thanks for the comments, please find my replies inline.

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 2:06 AM Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:

> Looks great - thank you for writing this. I have some questions. If they
> are already answered in your document, forgive me, and just say “That’s
> answered in the document."
>
> I very much like the idea of adding default charset and collation to
> RelDataTypeSystem. This will help to carry them to all points in the code
> where they are needed.
>
> I also like the idea of adding charset and collation as table options. It
> seems that this feature is non-essential, and could be done in phase 2, if
> necessary. Also, it mainly applies to SQL DDL, i.e. the “server” module. I
> don’t we need to add default charset and collation to the Table or
> RelOptTable interfaces, just SqlCreateTable.

Agreed.

> Regarding the column options. Could charset and collection not be
> specified as part of the column’s data type?

Yes, if not specified, column charset is deduced from table default, or
session default, or system default charset.

> When we are parsing a SQL character literal, the characters of that
> literal are in the same encoding as the SQL string itself. The parser (see
> the line ‘UNICODE_INPUT = true;' generated Parser.jj file) seems to assume
> that input is unicode. That seems fine to me — do you agree?

Agreed. By fixing 'core charset' be UTF-16, we have better performance and
lower coding effort.

> Unqualified character literals (e.g. ‘hello’, vs qualified _UTF8’hello’)
> are always UTF16. Is that correct? Should we provide a way to change that
> default? Do any major databases provide a way to change that default?

IMO unqualified characters should have default charset, instead of treating
'hello' as _UTF16'hello', it is more convenient to treat it as
_${DEFAULT_CHARSET}'hello', where DEFAULT_CHARSET is defined by
session/system configuration (connection/startup configuration in mysql
https://goo.gl/67hOXK , or SqlSetOption in Calcite) or type system.

In a scenario where different columns have different charsets/collations, I
> assume that there will be a lot of implicit conversion going on. (Not to
> mention explicit conversion, using CONVERT.) Are there concerns about this?
> Are the rules well-defined if, say we compare a UTF8 with a UTF16 string,
> or concatenate a UTF8 with a UTF16 string?

There may be concerns. I've already found 2 points,

1. Sql Function return type inference.
2. RelDataFactory#leastRestrictive

>From which there may impacts on rules like ReduceExpressionRules.

> I saw that MySQL has problems with 3-byte utf8 (aka utf8mb3) and 4-byte
> utf8mb4[1]. Are we going to avoid those problems?

I'm not sure but Java UTF-8 encoder/decoder look good.