When someone mentions higher-order functions in SQL, I get excited and start
thinking about the stuff in a good functional language like ML that I’m missing
from SQL. For example, we might do something like this, using SQL’s “WITH" as
the equivalent of ML’s “let” construct[1]:

 WITH
   VAL two AS 2
   FUN twice(x) AS two * x
   FUN fibonacci(n) AS CASE WHEN n = 0 THEN 1 ELSE n * fibonacci(n - 1) END
 SELECT fibonacci(twice(empno))
 FROM emp

But I guess you’re not talking about *user-defined* high-order functions, or
functions-as-values, just some operators that apply lambdas to a collection.

I can’t help pointing out that SQL has always been a functional language; for
example, WHERE is the filter operator and SELECT is the map operator (what
Presto calls TRANSFORM). Your example

  SELECT TRANSFORM(ARRAY[1, 2, 3], v -> v + 1)

is syntactic sugar for

  SELECT ARRAY(
    SELECT v + 1
    FROM UNNEST(ARRAY[1, 2, 3]) AS t(v))

In summary. Yes, I’d very much like to support higher-order functions. Not just
lambda functions, but named functions and assign-once variables in a WITH
clause around a query or expression. And also functions-as-values, which means
we would need to devise a way to store function values in tables. And it would
be hard to do higher-order functions without making the type system polymorphic.

Julian

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_expression