Hi Julian,

as it got really confusing for me with the eps-NFA (and all the concurrent
partial matches in the matcher) I added a class DFA that transforms the
epsilon-NFA from an automaton to a DFA and reimplemented the Matcher based on
it.
I think it is running now but it fails on tests that contain a "repeat"
statement (X{a,b}) in AutomatonTest.
The constructed DFA from these statements is wrong.
Do you have a reference of the transformation in your Thompson construction? I
found nothing on quick googling.
I would like to check the implementation in the AutomatonBuilder:202 ff as I
did not find a Bug in the Matcher or the DFA code.
Otherwise I would try to check it by expanding the repeat with symbols, ors and
optionals.

I also fixed the coding style (sorry for that, I totally missed that) so it
should be better to review my code now (as of commit
https://github.com/julianhyde/calcite/pull/15/commits/358ca1c5928b57cc96c8b39be8d017872d870dcf
 ).

Best
JulianF