Thanks for getting this discussion started, Stamatis!

I was actually going to start some discussion regarding the "next" fix version/release on JIRA after making Avatica 1.14.0 rc0 available for voting, so I think this thread would be a good place to do so too.

There are currently 18 issues on JIRA with the fix version set to "next" [1]. In my opinion this creates extra work for the release manager.

For me, I open the list of commits on Github and check that the corresponding issue in JIRA (if any) has the correct fix version set and has been resolved. Unfortunately, some issues were tagged as "next" and I had to hunt those issues down individually and fix them, rather than being able to get a list of them by visiting the avatica-1.14.0 page on JIRA.In addition, the "next" version does not seem meaningful to me, as we do know the version number of the next release. There also seem to be a few pretty old issues set to "next" but have not been worked on in a while. In my opinion, it would be better if these issues have their Fix Version set to blank instead, as it may give the wrong impression (false hope), that a fix is in progress.

What do you guys think? If the "next" fix version should not be used, we should set the fix version of those issues to a proper version number or nothing and archive the "next" release, so that it cannot be used per these instructions [2].

Francis

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/CALCITE/versions/12329362
[2] https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-it-possible-to-lock-a-version-prevent-selecting-version/qaq-p/400996