To be pedantic, a TLP (top-level project) is a project that reports directly to
the Board and therefore is exactly the same as a PMC.

It seems that suggestion that Avatica have a domain https://avatica.apache.org
<https://avatica.apache.org/> and be referred to as “Apache Avatica”, while
remaining under the Calcite PMC, is not typical for Apache. I could not find
any examples of sub-projects that have their own sub-domain of apache.org
<http://apache.org/>: I loved at DB[1], Felix[2], Lucene[3], Coccoon[4] are
projects that have sub-projects. With the exception of the Apache DB projects
(e.g. Apache Derby), most tend to refer to their subprojects qualified with the
name of the TLP, for example “Apache Felix Gogo”.

Julian

[1] http://db.apache.org/ <http://db.apache.org/>

[2] https://felix.apache.org/documentation/subprojects.html
<https://felix.apache.org/documentation/subprojects.html>