Hi all,

While I was looking at CALCITE-2970, I noticed that some of the rules are fired
for both logical and physical nodes. For example, ProjectMergeRule matches
Project.class, so it’s fired for LogicalProject. But then after LogicalProject
is converted into EnummerableProject, the same rule is fired again for the
physical rels. Same for EnumerableLimitRule, SortRemoveConstantKeysRule, etc.

This seems to be unnecessary. When ProjectMerge is applied to LogicalProject
nodes, we already generate all possible alternatives with merged projects. We
just need to convert the LogicalProject into EnumerableProject. There’s no need
to merge EnumerableProject again.

If I update those rules to only match logical nodes, the planning time of the
case in CALCITE-2970 is reduced ~30%.

Any thoughts?