Hi!

I am using Apache Calcite-Avatica version 1.12 (but the relevant code
sections are not different from the master branch), and I am getting
the following exception on the client side (but the actual error in on
the server side):

org.apache.calcite.avatica.AvaticaSqlException: Error -1 (00000) :
Remote driver error: ClassCastException: java.lang.Long cannot be cast
to java.lang.Float
        at org.apache.calcite.avatica.Helper.createException(Helper.java:54)
        at org.apache.calcite.avatica.Helper.createException(Helper.java:41)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.AvaticaConnection.executeQueryInternal(AvaticaConnection.java:557)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.AvaticaPreparedStatement.executeQuery(AvaticaPreparedStatement.java:137)
        at
com.oltpbenchmark.benchmarks.tpcc.procedures.Payment.getCustomerByName(Payment.java:400)
        at
com.oltpbenchmark.benchmarks.tpcc.procedures.Payment.run(Payment.java:221)
        at
com.oltpbenchmark.benchmarks.tpcc.TPCCWorker.executeWork(TPCCWorker.java:74)
        at com.oltpbenchmark.api.Worker.doWork(Worker.java:386)
        at com.oltpbenchmark.api.Worker.run(Worker.java:296)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Long cannot be cast to java.lang.Float
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.TypedValue.writeToProtoWithType(TypedValue.java:594)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.TypedValue.toProto(TypedValue.java:799)
        at org.apache.calcite.avatica.Meta$Frame.serializeScalar(Meta.java:985)
        at org.apache.calcite.avatica.Meta$Frame.parseColumn(Meta.java:971)
        at org.apache.calcite.avatica.Meta$Frame.toProto(Meta.java:936)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.Service$ResultSetResponse.serialize(Service.java:841)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.Service$ExecuteResponse.serialize(Service.java:1158)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.Service$ExecuteResponse.serialize(Service.java:1113)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.ProtobufTranslationImpl.serializeResponse(ProtobufTranslationImpl.java:348)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.ProtobufHandler.encode(ProtobufHandler.java:57)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.ProtobufHandler.encode(ProtobufHandler.java:31)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.AbstractHandler.apply(AbstractHandler.java:95)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.ProtobufHandler.apply(ProtobufHandler.java:46)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.server.AvaticaProtobufHandler.handle(AvaticaProtobufHandler.java:127)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:52)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:311)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:544)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

>From the code, it seems like when the function "writeToProtoWithType"
is called from "toProto", there is a boxing conversion from long
(primitive) to Long (object), this is because
for floats, "toProto" is using "((Float) o).longValue()" which returns
a long. Then in "writeToProtoWithType" is being casted to float, which
I think causes the CastClassException.

If I add this code to the testFloat() function in the
"core/src/test/java/org/apache/calcite/avatica/remote/TypedValueTest.java"
file:

Common.TypedValue.Builder builder = Common.TypedValue.newBuilder();
Common.Rep val = TypedValue.toProto(builder, Float.valueOf(3.14159f));
Common.TypedValue typedVal = builder.build();

it replicates the exception. I have a couple of questions:

1. Why are you using the longValue() on the float within the toProto
function? Doesn't this cast lose information?
2. What kind of code would trigger this kind of behavior? It is hard
for me to debug in detail, because it is only trigger when I running
it in my remote server. If I have some idea of how this can be
trigger, maybe I can find an example on my server code that is
triggering it.
3. Is this a known problem? I couldn't find it in the mailing list,
but I am new to the community.

Thanks a lot for help!

Best regards,
Enrique Saurez