>First some annoying :core:checkstyleTest that interferes with files
generated by Intellij IDEA, with hundreds of error messages similar to the
following:

We exclude generated files from the style checks via the following patterns:
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/a6293a37dd4166e6fe69ae0c5ef7a89e6677b6ab/build.gradle.kts#L259-L276

Please add the relevant pattern and file the PR.
However, it is really strange that you get the generated files into
generated/sources/version/generated and javacc/javaCCTest/generated_tests
folders.
I don't understand why IDEA would generate files into those folders.
It does not sound like your ImmutableMyProjectFilterRuleConfig is connected
with javaCCTest.
I would try to understand why do you get files into /javaCCTest/ and
/version/ folders.

A side note: Kotlin does have the official coding style, so there's a
formatter that yields nice results and that is consistent with IDEs.
So moving to Kotlin makes many Checkstyle rules obsolete. No joking.

>Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 0 out of bounds
for length 0

It is very likely you are using an outdated version of javac which produced
invalid bytecode.
Please upgrade javac (e.g. to the recent patchset).
Note: GitHub CI uses recent patchet updates, so you might fail to reproduce
the issue.

We do know javac versions 1.8 before u202 are extremely buggy, so we fail
the build for those versions.
It might be time to add the same verification for 11, and require 11.0.5 or
later (in case of 11).

>Is there an easy way to fix the problem?

The easy fix is to bump the javac version.
The funny coincidence is that Kotlin solves this issue as well: null safety
is integrated into the regular compilation,
so there's no need for a separate (and time-consuming!) checker framework
compilation.

Vladimir