From: Benchao Li <libenc...@apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 8, 2023 12:01 AM
To: dev@calcite.apache.org
Cc: mbu...@gmail.com
Subject: [DISCUSS] Towards Calcite 1.36.0

It's been a bit more than 2 months since our last release [1] and there are
currently 90+ new commits in main branch.

As usual, according to our Jira dashboard [2] and Github [3], there are many
pending issues that could / should be part of the release.
I'd propose to make a collective effort to try to clean up our 1.36 backlog and
merge the PRs which are in a good state. I'd propose to aim for **end of
October** to release 1.36.0, this will give us about
20 days to clean up pending PRs for next version. What do you think?

According to [4], the following release managers would be:
- 1.36.0 Benchao Li
- 1.37.0 Sergey Nuyanzin
- 1.38.0 Julian Hyde

So I'm supposed to be the release manager for 1.36.0

And contributors, if you have any work that is in good shape and want to be
included in 1.36.0, please mark the fixVersion to 1.36.0, this will inform the
release manager, and we'll try our best to get it in.

CALCITE-5990[5] is marked as a blocker since it's introduced by
CALCITE-5843[6], could @Mihai help to double check whether it is a expected
change, and we need to fix it within 1.36.0?

[1] https://calcite.apache.org/docs/history.html#v1-35-0
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12333950
[3] https://github.com/apache/calcite/pulls
[4] https://lists.apache.org/thread/tm3t42qvpq3db24xtd2g468ofv83l6hk