Hello Teun,

It seems your attachment didn't come through. Can you upload it to imgr and link it here?

Thanks,
Francis

On 29/01/2024 6:45 pm, Teun Mathijssen wrote:
Hi all,

I'm currently writing my Master's thesis in Software Engineering on Apache Calcite. For my background research I want to classify Calcite under a taxonomy formulated in "Enabling Query Processing across Heterogeneous Data Models: A Survey" (https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8258302 <https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8258302>). The authors of this paper classify federated datastores from available literature under the data type and query interfaces they support. I made a visualization of their taxonomy which can be found in the attached file.

My question to you is: under which of these classes can we put Calcite? I think Calcite is a multistore system (with the sidenote that it does not manage its own data) as it provides one SQL interface and it's capable of handling heterogeneous data. What do you think? Can we even categorize it?

Looking forward to your answer.

Kind regards,

Teun Mathijssen