Thanks for reaching out, Jerin!

(Jerin and I work together at Google, but I’m wearing my Calcite hat here.)

A Tableau connector is something Calcite has needed for some time, and
in fact there is a Jira case for it [1]. The goals were (1) create a
'vanilla' connector to that Tableau can connect to via Avatica to a
server speaking Calcite's dialect to SQL, and (2) create a starting
point for products based on Calcite/Avatica to create their own
Tableau connectors.

I think that what you have built will meet the needs of (1).

Where to host it? A separate git repository within the Calcite project
would seem to be ideal, but it would incur extra effort making
periodic releases. Being pragmatic, a subdirectory of Calcite will is
a good place to start.

The choice of GoogleSQL as the supported dialect isn't ideal, but is a
good start. After all, Calcite can be configured to speak that
dialect, and you have run the tests to prove it. If someone would like
to create a Tableau connector that uses another dialect (such as
Calcite's native dialect), this is a great starting point.

The next step would be a PR, linked to 4859.

In the PR, can you describe how to build and test the connector? If
it's not possible to do that automatically as part of Calcite's CI and
release process, there should at least be documented steps and scripts
to achieve that, and there should be at least a minimal test that we
can run as part of Calcite CI.

Julian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4859