I'm agree Andreas.

It's exactly the purpose of Cave: to be able to decouple some "features" (like Spring*) from the core and the distribution.

However, Cave is not fully ready, so we have to find a way waiting Cave.

I can see two:
1/ stay with Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE in 2.2.x branch, and provide the Spring* features (I'm working on it). As Freeman said, it might work even if it's not the target version for Camel 2.8.1. It also means that "previous" Camel versions (like 2.7.x or 2.8.0) don't work with Karaf 2.2.3. 2/ rollback to Spring 3.0.5.RELEASE, and release Karaf 2.2.4 (and following) with this Spring version.

To be honest, I would prefer 2 as it means that Camel 2.7.x, 2.8.x and CXF 2.4.x won't work starting from Karaf 2.2.3.

So +1 for 2.

Regards
JB