Almost +1, (as points below affects the idea of where to using any camel
versions and even contributing because for example;
if you use (let's say JDK 8) and have come across a problem and solved in
your local branch 2.X and submitted and if Camel 3.X would require JDK 10
as the base minimum version, it will create a regression effort, in terms
of building and executing on JDK 10. would it slow down the contribution
efforts? )

Can we also discuss the matters of compatibility matrix? Maybe having one
like in starters guide or in some other document.
I know we have pages [1] [2]

[1] http://camel.apache.org/what-are-the-dependencies.html
[2]
https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/docs/user-manual/en/camel-jar-dependencies.adoc

Having such matrix considering other integration platforms would be helpful
IMHO.
Such as Spring Boot, Karaf, CDI etcs...