Could anyone answer this question?  I was also surprised to find Camel
Connector discontinued in 3.x and would like to get explanation from
someone knowledgeable on the topic.

I can only find this JIRA other than Claus' commits that deprecated
connectors, but the JIRA doesn't refer to any background discussions.