On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 3:26 PM Alexandre Gallice <aldettin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Claus,
>
>   Looks interesting. New year, new idea :)
>
>   I wonder what is the difference between exchange property and variable.
>   Don't they have the same scope and mutability ?

exchange properties is a mixed bag of internal stuff and yes users can also
store their own stuff there.
But then you end up with user stuff and internal camel stuff. Also exchange
properties are private per exchange only.

Variables = 100% end user.
And you can have different scopes / repositories so you can share
variables, or persist them or whatever.

Also a variable is a more common concept for users as it's something every
programming language has.
Exchange properties can be mistaken for those "properties" you configure on
endpoints, components, and in application.properties, and when using
property placeholders {{xxx}}.
In fact they were called properties in Camel 1.x/2.x and renamed to
exchange properties to better say that these are properties on an exchange,
and not any of ^^^^

@davsclaus