Hi,

I feel there are more disadvantages than advantages in this approach. In
your current scenario you want to set dictionary only for columns which are
used as filters, but the usage of dictionary is not only limited for
filters, it can reduce the store size and improve the aggregation queries.
I think you should set no_inverted_index false on non filtered columns to
reduce the store size and improve the performance.

If we make no dictionary as default then user no need set them in DDL but
user needs to set the dictionary columns. If user wants to set more
dictionary columns then the same problem what you mentioned arises again so
it does not solve the problem. I feel we should give more flexibility in
our DDL to simplify these scenarios and we should have more discussion on
it.

Pros & Cons of your suggestion.
Advantages :
1. Decoding/Encoding of dictionary could be avoided.

Disadvantages :
1. Store size will increase drastically.
2. IO will increase so query performance will come down.
3. Aggregation queries performance will suffer.

Regards,
Ravindra.