There seems to be a lot of confusion on this topic in the C* Community.
Most people look at the Datastax docs that recommend Java 6 and ask why
that recommendation is there. Threads never seem to "finish" with a clear
definitive answer. There seem to be about 3-4 of these for the past few
months on the Users list.

I love the idea of requiring Java 7 explicitly + clarifying the project's
stance on the JVM requirement overall.

Might also want to lock it down to something like >Java 7 u8 (u13 might be
even nicer given 2.0's timeframe) given the early instability in Java7's
early releases (and I guess allow but maybe warn for OpenJDK7?).

My 2-cents.

Best,
Michael