How would it be different from creating an actual real extra table instead?

--
AY

On May 1, 2015 at 03:07:01, graham sanderson (gra...@vast.com) wrote:

Anyone here have an opinion; how realistic would it be to have a separate
memtable/sstable for static columns?

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Haddad <j...@jonhaddad.com>
Subject: Re: DateTieredCompactionStrategy and static columns
Date: April 30, 2015 at 3:55:46 PM CDT
To: u...@cassandra.apache.org

I suspect this will kill the benefit of DTCS, but haven't tested it to be 100%
here.

The benefit of DTCS is that sstables are selected for compaction based on the
age of the data, not their size.  When you mix TTL'ed data and non TTL'ed data,
you end up screwing with the "drop the entire SSTable" optimization.  I don't
believe this is any different just because you're mixing in static columns.
What I think will happen is you'll end up with an sstable that's almost
entirely TTL'ed with a few static columns that will never get compacted or
dropped.  Pretty much the worst scenario I can think of.