My understanding is Thrift is being removed from Cassandra in 4.0, but will
COMPACT STORAGE be removed as well? Clearly the two are related, but
COMPACT STORAGE had a performance advantage in addition to Thrift
compatibility, so its status is ambiguous.

I recall vague chatter, but no explicit deprecation notice or 4.0 plan for
removal of COMPACT STORAGE. Actually, I don't even see a deprecation notice
for Thrift itself in CHANGES.txt.

Will a table with only a single non-PK column automatically be implemented
at a comparable level of efficiency compared to the old/current Compact
STORAGE? That will still leave the question of how to migrate a non-Thrift
COMPACT STORAGE table (i.e., used for performance by a CQL-oriented
developer rather than Thrift compatibility per se) to pure CQL.

-- Jack Krupansky