By this definition the Cassandra project is already compliant? There's a
commits@ mailing list that behaves just as you describe.

I'd personally like to see some reform with how these things work, but
mostly because commits@ is rarely going to be subscribed to by anybody who
isn't working full time on the project, as it's painfully noisy. I would
hate for dev@ to become similarly noisy though.