So I confirmed with Aleksey before firmly sticking foot in mouth, but you
CAN do this through Thrift -- Thrift has an API for sending a CQL string
via the Thrift interface..  We used to do something similar through Hector.

Not sure if this strictly fits your "is this possible via Thrift
interface"...