One of the problem is that we have to deal with a huge number of tickets.
We could let them open forever or close the ones that we think are not real
problems or that we know we will never have time to do.
CASSANDRA-8954 has been opened for a year before Aleksey closed it.
When those things happen you can feel free to reopen the ticket and ask for
some explanations.

I think most of us have more work assigned than we can deal in the next 2-3
coming months. Some patch might wait for a review for months sometime and I
ping people constantly.

If you are waiting for some answers do not hesitate to ping the person with
who you are in contact with (simply put its name on JIRA). Beware that some
people take time for responding (sometime a week).