Hi everyone,

I came across something that bothers me a lot. I'm using snapshots to
backup data from my Cassandra cluster in case something really bad happens
(like dropping a table or a keyspace).

Exercising the recovery actions from those backups, I discover that the
schema put on the file "schema.cql" as a result of the snapshot has the
"CREATE IF NOT EXISTS" for the table, but not for the indexes.

When restoring from snapshots, and relying on the execution of these
schemas to build up the table structure, everything seems fine for tables
without secondary indexes, but for the ones that make use of them, the
execution of these statements fail miserably.

Here I paste a generated schema.cql content for a table with indexes:

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS keyspace1.table1 (
id text PRIMARY KEY,
content text,
last_update_date date,
last_update_date_time timestamp)
WITH ID = f1045fc0-2f59-11e7-95ec-295c3c064920
AND bloom_filter_fp_chance = 0.01
AND dclocal_read_repair_chance = 0.1
AND crc_check_chance = 1.0
AND default_time_to_live = 8640000
AND gc_grace_seconds = 864000
AND min_index_interval = 128
AND max_index_interval = 2048
AND memtable_flush_period_in_ms = 0
AND read_repair_chance = 0.0
AND speculative_retry = '99PERCENTILE'
AND caching = { 'keys': 'NONE', 'rows_per_partition': 'NONE' }
AND compaction = { 'max_threshold': '32', 'min_threshold': '4', 'class':
'org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy' }
AND compression = { 'chunk_length_in_kb': '64', 'class':
'org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.LZ4Compressor' }
AND cdc = false
AND extensions = {  };
*CREATE INDEX table1_last_update_date_idx ON keyspace1.table1
(last_update_date);*

I think the last part should be:

*CREATE INDEX IF NOT EXISTS table1_last_update_date_idx ON keyspace1.table1
(last_update_date);*

Any ideas? Have you wrote this part of the snapshot behavior for a
particular reason I'm not seeing?

I'm willing to help on coding (as I have done before xD) if you consider
this a trivial bug, but something that should be address.

Kind regards,

Javier.