From: Ariel Weisberg [mailto:ar...@weisberg.ws]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:28 PM
To: dev@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: CASSANDRA-14183 review request -> logback upgrade to fix CVE

Hi,

So our options are:

1. Ignore it.
Most people aren't using this functionality.
Most people aren't and shouldn't be exposing the logging port to untrusted
networks But everyone loses at defense in depth (or is it breadth) if they use
this functionality and someone might expose the port

2. Remove the offending classes from the 1.1.10 jar My crazy idea, break it,
but only for the people using the vulnerable functionality. Possibly no one,
but probably someone. Maybe they can upgrade it manually for their usage?
This also has an issue when working with maven.

3. Upgrade it
Definitely going to break some apps according to Michael Shuler. Happened when
he tried it.

Certainly we can upgrade in trunk? While we are at it come up to the latest
version.

Ariel