Whenever I hop around in the codebase, one thing that always manages to slow me
down is needing to understand the context of the variable names that I’m
looking at.  We’ve now removed thrift the transport, but the variables, classes
and comments still remain.  Personally, I’d like to go in and pay off as much
technical debt as possible by refactoring the code to be as close to CQL as
possible.  Rows should be rows, not partitions, I’d love to see the term column
family removed forever in favor of always using tables.  That said, it’s a big
task.  I did a quick refactor in a branch, simply changing the
ColumnFamilyStore class to TableStore, and pushed it up to GitHub. [1]

Didn’t click on the link?  That’s ok.  The TL;DR is that it’s almost 2K LOC
changed across 275 files.  I’ll note that my branch doesn’t change any of the
almost 1000 search results of “columnfamilystore” found in the codebase and
hundreds of tests failed on my branch in CircleCI, so that 2K LOC change would
probably be quite a bit bigger.  There is, of course, a lot more than just
renaming this one class, there’s thousands of variable names using any manner
of “cf”, “cfs”, “columnfamily”, names plus comments and who knows what else.
There’s lots of references in probably every file that would have to get
updated.

What are people’s thoughts on this?  We should be honest with ourselves and
know this isn’t going to get any easier over time.  It’s only going to get more
confusing for new people to the project, and having to figure out “what kind of
row am i even looking at” is a waste of time.  There’s obviously a much bigger
impact than just renaming a bunch of files, there’s any number of patches and
branches that would become outdated, plus anyone pulling in Cassandra as a
dependency would be affected.  I don’t really have a solution for the
disruption other than “leave it in place”, but in my mind that’s not a great
(or even good) solution.

Anyways, enough out of me.  My concern for ergonomics and naming might be
significantly higher than the rest of the folks working in the code, and I
wanted to put a feeler out there before I decided to dig into this in a more
serious manner.

Jon

[1]
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/compare/trunk...rustyrazorblade:refactor_column_family_store?expand=1