Syvlain explained the problem in CASSANDRA-4536:
" Let me note that in CQL3 a row that have no live column don't exist, so
we can't really implement this with a range slice having an empty columns
list. Instead we should do a range slice with a full-row slice predicate
with a count of 1, to make sure we do have a live column before including
the partition key. "

By using ColumnFilter.selectionBuilder(); you do not select all the
columns. By consequence, some partitions might be returned while they
should not.