On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 16:04:16 -0500, you wrote:

>Is OpenJDK really not addressing this at all? Is that because OpenJDK is
>beholden to Oracle somehow?

I suspect it is more a case of OpenJDK (as in the entitites other than
Oracle that are members) haven't historically been involved in the
providing of JRE/JDK to the public.  Oracle (previously Sun) handled
that entirely and so there is no group outside of Oracle prepared (at
least at this point in time) to do anything.

>There is no looming deadline on this, is there?

Less than a year.  Java 8 is currently scheduled to get dropped (as in
no more updates) in January 2019 (the actual plan is 4 months after
Java 11, so if 11 is late then that date will get changed).

> Can we just let the dust
>settle on this in the overall ecosystem to see what happens?

Not a lot of time to organize an alternative if too much time is spent
seeing if someone else does anything.

I don't see Apple picking up supporting Java again on MacOS, I suppose
Microsoft might be convinced to pick up Java for Windows if they felt
it helped either Windows or Azure (on the other hand though this might
convince a lot of organizations to move to the now multi-platform
.Net).

The question really becomes who sees it in their interest to come up
with the money to support (either through OpenJDK or an outside group)
the process of building and maintaining a free set of Java binaries.

Unless someone steps up then the best anyone can do (at least in terms
of no-cost use of Java) is to work around where we know there will be
long term Java support, that being the Linux/BSD versions that provide
long term support through the distribution.

If that is the case, then it might be worth someone creating an
informal group to discuss between the distributions and the software
projects that rely on Java what version of Java to support.  If for
example Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian, FreeBSD, etc. can't come to an
informal agreement to all support the same version of Java we could in
5 years end up with Red Hat supporting X, Ubuntu X+1, Debian X-1, etc.
with the result that the software have to try and pick and choose.