I understand the merits of both approaches. In working with other DBs In the
“old country” of SQL, we often had to write indexing sequences manually for
important tables. It was “built into the product” but in order to leverage the
maximum benefits of indices we had to have different indices other than the
clustered (physical index). The process still sucked. It’s never perfect.

The JVM is already fraught with GC issues and putting another process being
managed in the same heapspace is what I’m worried about. Technically the
process could be in the same binary but started as a side Car or in the same
main process.

Consider a process called “cassandra-agent” that’s sitting around with a
scheduler based on config or a Cassandra table. Distributed in the same
release. Shell / service scripts would start it. The end user knows it only by
examining the .sh files. This opens possibilities of including a GUI hosted in
the same process without cluttering the core coolness of Cassandra.

Best,

--
Rahul Singh
rahul.si...@anant.us