Hi,

I think that updating the protocol spec to Cassandra puts the onus on the party
changing the protocol specification to have an implementation of the spec in
Cassandra as well as the Java and Python driver (those are both used in the
Cassandra repo). Until it's implemented in Cassandra we haven't fully evaluated
the specification change. There is no substitute for trying to make it work.

There are also realities to consider as to what the maintainers of the drivers
are willing to commit.

RE #1,

I am +1 on the fact that we shouldn't require an extra hop for range scans.

In JIRA Jeremiah made the point that you can still do this from the client by
breaking up the token ranges, but it's a leaky abstraction to have a paging
interface that isn't a vanilla ResultSet interface. Serial vs. parallel is kind
of orthogonal as the driver can do either.

I agree it looks like the current specification doesn't make what should be
simple as simple as it could be for driver implementers.

RE #2,

+1 on this change assuming an implementation in Cassandra and the Java and
Python drivers.

RE #3,

It's hard to be +1 on this because we don't benefit by boxing ourselves in by
defining a spec we haven't implemented, tested, and decided we are satisfied
with. Having it in ScyllaDB de-risks it to a certain extent, but what if
Cassandra decides to go a different direction in some way?

I don't think there is much discussion to be had without an example of the the
changes to the CQL specification to look at, but even then if it looks risky I
am not likely to be in favor of it.

Regards,
Ariel