Sounds like an older issue that I tried to address two years ago:

As you can see, the result hasn't been as expected and we got some
unintended side effects based on the patch. I'm not sure I'd be willing
to give this another try, considering the behaviour we like to fix in
the first place is rather harmless and the read repairs shouldn't happen
at all to any users who regularly run repairs within gc_grace.

What I'd suggest is to think more into the direction of a
post-full-repair-world and to fully embrace incremental repairs, as
fixed by Blake in 4.0. In that case, we should stop doing read repairs
at all for repaired data, as described in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13912. RRs are certainly
useful, but can be very risky if not very very carefully implemented. So
I'm wondering if we shouldn't disable RRs for everything but unrepaired
data. I'd btw also be interested to hear any opinions on this in context
of transient replicas.