I'm +1 with this solution going in 4.0.

That said, this make we realize that through this dependency we've
ended up exposing (publicly) a bit too much to UDF. Namely, all we really
need/want to expose for UDF is the "value" classes (UDTValue, TupleValue,
Duration and LocalDate) and the types (DataType and his 2 subclasses
UserType
and TupleType).

But we end up exposing quite a bit more: some abstract classes that are
public
(AbstractGettableData, AbstractSettableData, ...), but more problematic imo,
the CodecRegistry class (whose only need to be public is, as far as I can
tell, the UserType/TupeType.of() methods, which aren't useful to UDF at
all)
which 1) is overly complex for what we care about in UDF and 2) brings
transitive dependencies (TypeCodec and all his sub-classes, TypeToken).

So my suggestion is that we go with Robert's patch, but on top of that we
add detection for usage of all those classes/methods that have no business
being
exposed. For brand new UDFs, we could just reject them if they use any of
those
in 4.0. For existing UDFs, we'd log a warning at startup that say it's
deprecated and that the UDF should be replaced or things will break in the
next
major. Honestly, my expectation is that no-one uses those classes/methods
(since again, they aren't exactly useful) so I don't anticipate doing so
being
a big deal. But unless we do it, we won't be able to clean up the code
added by
this.

And there is quite a bit that would be nice to cleanup at some point here
imo.
Not that the driver code is bad in any way; just that 1) some of the
complexity
it exposes is overkill for UDF (registering TypeCodec typically), and that a
lot of the code added duplicates things we already have server side).

--
Sylvain