Thanks for bringing this up, it definitely needs to be discussed.

Last surprise is difficult here, since all major databases have their own
way of doing things and people will just assume that their way is the right
way.  On that note, some people will be surprised no matter what we do.

I'd rather avoid the pitfalls of returning incorrect results, so either
option 2 or 3 sound reasonable, but leaning towards the Postgres approach
of always returning a decimal for those cases.

Jon