On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 10:51, Benedict Elliott Smith
<bened...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10 Dec 2018, at 16:21, Ariel Weisberg <ar...@weisberg.ws> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > RE #1, does this mean if you submit a ticket and you are not a contributor
> > you can't modify any of the fields including description or adding/removing
> > attachments?
>
> Attachment operations have their own permissions, like comments.  Description
> would be prohibited though.  I don’t see this as a major problem, really; it
> is generally much more useful to add comments.  If we particularly want to
> make a subset of fields editable there is a workaround, though I’m not sure
> anybody would have the patience to implement it:
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/how-can-i-control-the-editing-of-issue-fields-via-workflow-149834.html
>
> <https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/how-can-i-control-the-editing-of-issue-fields-via-workflow-149834.html>

That would be disappointing. Descriptions with broken or no formatting
aren't rare (say, command output without code formatting). And every
now and then the description might need to be updated. For example, in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-10989, the link to the
paper had rotted, but I managed to find a new one, so I could edit it
in. If such a change had to be posted as a comment, it might easily
get lost in some of the more active issues.