You'll probably see the bulk of changes in
CommitLogReader.java:CommitLogFormat
<https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/06209037ea56b5a2a49615a99f1542d6ea1b2947/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/db/commitlog/CommitLogReader.java#L483>.
I tried to limit the dependencies on any internals of the
CommitLogDescriptor when I was refactoring for C-8844, so aside from some
metadata that should hopefully remain consistent (id, filename, compression
flag, etc), you shouldn't see a ton of drift in terms of changes inside the
reader itself.