> On Feb 26, 2019, at 8:26 AM, Stanislav Kozlovski
> <stanislav_kozlov...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Hey there Cassandra community,
>
> I work on a fellow open-source project - Apache Kafka - and there we have
> been fighting flaky tests a lot. We run Java 8 and Java 11 builds on every
> Pull Request and due to test flakiness, almost all of them turn out red with
> 1 or 2 tests (completely unrelated to the change in the PR) failing. This has
> resulted in committers ignoring them and merging the changes either way, or
> in the worst case - rerunning the hour-long build until it becomes green.

I hope most committers wont commit unless the flakey rest is definitely not in
the subsystem they touched. But yes, one of the motivations for speeding up
tests (parallelized on a containerized hosted CI platform) was to cut down the
time for (re-)running

> This test flakiness has also slowed down our releases significantly.
>
> In general, I was just curious to understand if this is a problem that
> Cassandra faces as well.

Yes

> Does your project have a lot of intermittently failing tests,

Sometimes more than others. There were a few big pushes to get green, though it
naturally regresses a bit over time

> do you have any active process of addressing such tests (during the initial
> review, after realizing it is flaky, etc). Any pointers will be greatly
> appreciated!

I don’t think we’ve solved this convincingly. Different large (corporate)
contributors have done long one time passes, and that helped a ton, but I don’t
think there are any silver bullets yet.