My replies are inline –

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 9:00 PM, Stefan Miklosovic
> <stefan.mikloso...@instaclustr.com> wrote:
>
> the problem with the current dtests is that, ironically, when you run them
> on too powerful machine as it is in my case, it generates so much stress
> via cassandra-stress tool for some tests that these nodes become
> unresponsive and they are killed so test can not proceed.

We recently ran into similar issues while trying to fix some dtests so this is
not entirely surprising.

> So in general I see three fixes:
>
> 1) Increase memory per node to something sensible, at least 1G, more is
> better
> 2) Fix the test in such way that I does not timeout even with 512M per node
> 3) Run tests on machine with 8 cores and 16 GB as you do but that seems to
> be like a stupid idea in general

I think the objective here is to get the tests as stable and fast as possible.
I haven't dug into this particular test so I can't say which option would be
the best but JIRAs are usually the best place to have such discussions in the
context of a patch.

> I can imagine this will be the issue for a lot of tests and by increasing
> the memory per node we could get rid of a lot problems. I was briefly
> checking where the memory is set in dtests per node but without success. I
> think its job of ccm. Is there a simple way how to increase memory per node
> in dtests?

I believe ccm start accepts jvm_args as an argument that would allow you to
specify arbitrary JVM args. Give that a try.

We should be judicious with such changes as it may have further destabilizing
effects but don't let that stop you from opening JIRAs or opening PRs to fix
issues. Please nudge folks in the dev list, IRC and JIRAs to have them
reviewed. I know I have one of your tickets already in my queue and I will get
to it soon :)

Thanks,

Dinesh