Given the number of issues that are addressed, I definitely think it's
worth strongly considering merging this in.  I think it might be a
little unrealistic to cut the first alpha after the merge though.
Being realistic, any 20K+ LOC change is going to introduce its own
bugs, and we should be honest with ourselves about that.  It seems
likely the issues the patch addressed would have affected the 4.0
release in some form *anyways* so the question might be do we fix them
now or after someone's cluster burns down because there's no inbound /
outbound message load shedding.

Giving it a quick code review and going through the JIRA comments
(well written, thanks guys) there seem to be some pretty important bug
fixes in here as well as paying off a bit of technical debt.

Jon