I agree.  This lowers the barrier to entry for new participants.  Slack is
probably two orders of magnitude more commonly used now than irc for sw
devs and three for everyone else.  And then you have the quality-of-life
features that you get out of the box with Slack and only with difficulty in
irc (history, search, file uploads...)

--
Jonathan Ellis
co-founder, http://www.datastax.com