Hello and welcome to our kickoff email about the 4.0 release work status.
Structure and contents are fluid; if you'd like to see, or not see,
something, please reply and let me know as my goal is purely to help meet
the needs of our dev community here. My initial thinking is to send this
out weekly or biweekly depending on the volume of change; if things are
relatively unchanged by this time next week, I may go twice a month.

I put together a board
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=355> of
recent or open 4.0 scope (anything closed within past 4 weeks should show
up). My intent is to use this purely as a visualization tool and not
advocate for any constraining work in progress, time in col tracking, or
other kanban-esque things. I find it useful to have a single place to poke
and prod at the state of a release and see where things might need some
attention.

Some observations that stand out (I'll drop ticket details at bottom of
email for convenience):

   - *Progress: *We've closed out 18 issues

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20CASSANDRA%20AND%20fixversion%20in%20(4.0%2C%204.0.0%2C%204.0-alpha%2C%204.0-beta)%20AND%20resolved%20%3E%3D%20-4w>
   in the past 4 weeks of a total of 115 tickets
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12347782> across
   4.0-alpha, 4.0-beta, and 4.0.
   - *LHF: *We have 5 failing tests

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=355&selectedIssue=CASSANDRA-15314&quickFilter=1660&quickFilter=1658>
on
   our Alpha Release with no assignee on them (*good Low Hanging Fruit for
   anyone that wants to get involved in the project*)
   - *Needs Review:* We have 3 beta tickets and 7 release tickets

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=355&quickFilter=1659>
that
   are Patch Available but do not have a reviewer
   - *Available to Work:* There are 6 alpha tickets, 5 beta tickets, and 14
   RC tickets

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=355&selectedIssue=CASSANDRA-15314&quickFilter=1661&quickFilter=1658>
that
   do not have an assignee at this time. I'm excluding patch available or in
   review w/out assignee w/the assumption that they're in flight so probably
   just need to have assignee fixed on them (I'll take a look in a bit)
   - *Testing: *On our 4.0 Quality and test plan wiki article

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/4.0+Quality%3A+Components+and+Test+Plans>,
   we have the following open opportunities

<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gP1MsC1ZZ3M0Rf8tIDJ30hI2DqYcLsVLSPgPXwSb6is/edit#gid=0>
(all
   data as per wiki, will follow up w/Scott to confirm accuracy):
   - 13 of 17 areas for testing are not yet started
      - 8 of 17 areas do not yet have a Shepherd
      - 13 of the 17 areas do not yet have JIRA tickets associated with them

I'd personally like to see the information from the wiki translated into a
JIRA epic w/tickets for each area of testing and validation so we can track
status in one place and avoid information atrophy and staleness; given the
volume of information already in this current email, I'll defer that
discussion to another thread.

And lastly, I am intentionally avoiding any conversations about scope of
tickets for release in this email (4.0 vs. 4.x, etc). Given the friction
last week on the topic, I'd like to start out just by providing insight and
visibility to people and, assuming there's interest, I'm happy to
facilitate discussions around scope separately (on JIRA or dev list, etc).

*Below is an embedded list of tickets with states in case you want to more
easily peruse them or pick up work from here w/out going to the board
above:*
4.0 Test Failures with no Assignee
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12347786>
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15307>
CASSANDRA-15307 Fix
flakey test_remote_query - cql_test.TestCQLSlowQuery test 4.0-alpha
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15306>
CASSANDRA-15306 Investigate
why we are allocating 8MiB chunks and reaching the maximum BufferPool size
4.0-beta
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15311>
CASSANDRA-15311 Fix
flakey test_13595 - consistency_test.TestConsistency 4.0-alpha
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15315>
CASSANDRA-15315 Fix
failing test - test_rolling_upgrade_with_internode_ssl -
upgrade_tests.upgrade_through_versions_test.TestProtoV4Upgrade_AllVersions_RandomPartitioner_EndsAt_Trunk_HEAD
4.0-alpha
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15314>
CASSANDRA-15314 Fix
failing test - test_rolling_upgrade_with_internode_ssl -
upgrade_tests.upgrade_through_versions_test.TestProtoV4Upgrade_AllVersions_EndsAt_Trunk_HEAD
4.0-alpha
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15313>
CASSANDRA-15313 Fix
flaky - ChecksummingTransformerTest -
org.apache.cassandra.transport.frame.checksum.ChecksummingTransformerTest
4.0-alpha
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15308>
CASSANDRA-15308 Fix
flakey testAcquireReleaseOutbound - org.apache.cassandra.net.ConnectionTest
4.0-alpha

Patch Available Needing Reviewer(s)
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12347784&jql=project%20%3D%20cassandra%20AND%20fixversion%20IN%20(4.0%2C%204.0.0%2C%204.0-alpha%2C%204.0-beta)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20unresolved%20AND%20status%20!%3D%20resolved%20AND%20status%20%3D%20%22Patch%20Available%22%20AND%20reviewer%20is%20EMPTY%20AND%20reviewers%20is%20EMPTY%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20assignee>
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14740>
CASSANDRA-14740 BlockingReadRepair
does not maintain monotonicity during range movements
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15305>
CASSANDRA-15305 Fix
multi DC nodetool status output
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15462>
CASSANDRA-15462 Purgable
tombstones can cause false positives in repaired data tracking
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15461>
CASSANDRA-15461 Legacy
counter shards can cause false positives in repaired data tracking
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14842>
CASSANDRA-14842 SSL
connection problems when upgrading to 4.0 when upgrading from 3.0.x
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15300>
CASSANDRA-15300 4.0
rpmbuild spec file is missing auditlogviewer and fqltool
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12995>
CASSANDRA-12995 update
hppc dependency to 0.7
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15257>
CASSANDRA-15257 Remove
joda time from dependencies
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14904>
CASSANDRA-14904 SSTableloader
doesn't understand listening for CQL connections on multiple ports
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14788>
CASSANDRA-14788 Add
test coverage workflows to CircleCI config

4.0 with no assignee
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12347783>
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14608>
CASSANDRA-14608 Confirm
correctness of windows scripts post-9608
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14520>
CASSANDRA-14520 ClosedChannelException
handled as FSError
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13254>
CASSANDRA-13254 move
compaction strategies to dedicated pages and expand on details
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15212>
CASSANDRA-15212 CassandraInputStream
Bugs
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15214>
CASSANDRA-15214 OOMs
caught and not rethrown
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15307>
CASSANDRA-15307 Fix
flakey test_remote_query - cql_test.TestCQLSlowQuery test
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15306> CASSANDRA-15306
Investigate why we are allocating 8MiB chunks and reaching the maximum
BufferPool size
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15311>
CASSANDRA-15311 Fix
flakey test_13595 - consistency_test.TestConsistency
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14517>
CASSANDRA-14517 Short
read protection can cause partial updates to be read
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15315> CASSANDRA-15315
Fix failing test - test_rolling_upgrade_with_internode_ssl -
upgrade_tests.upgrade_through_versions_test.TestProtoV4Upgrade_AllVersions_RandomPartitioner_EndsAt_Trunk_HEAD
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15314> CASSANDRA-15314
Fix failing test - test_rolling_upgrade_with_internode_ssl -
upgrade_tests.upgrade_through_versions_test.TestProtoV4Upgrade_AllVersions_EndsAt_Trunk_HEAD
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15313> CASSANDRA-15313
Fix flaky - ChecksummingTransformerTest -
org.apache.cassandra.transport.frame.checksum.ChecksummingTransformerTest
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14754>
CASSANDRA-14754 Add
verification of state machine in StreamSession
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14748>
CASSANDRA-14748 Recycler$WeakOrderQueue
occupies Heap
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14793>
CASSANDRA-14793 Improve
system table handling when losing a disk when using JBOD
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15308>
CASSANDRA-15308 Fix
flakey testAcquireReleaseOutbound - org.apache.cassandra.net.ConnectionTest
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14801>
CASSANDRA-14801 calculatePendingRanges
no longer safe for multiple adjacent range movements
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15406>
CASSANDRA-15406 Add
command to show the progress of data streaming and index build
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15234>
CASSANDRA-15234 Standardise
config and JVM parameters
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14697>
CASSANDRA-14697 Transient
Replication 4.0 pre-release followup work
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14296>
CASSANDRA-14296 Fix
eclipse-warnings introduced by 7544 parameter handling
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15369> CASSANDRA-15369
Fake row deletions and range tombstones, causing digest mismatch and
sstable growth
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15229>
CASSANDRA-15229 BufferPool
Regression
Link <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14606>
CASSANDRA-14606 Add
documentation for java 11 support
Thanks everyone for your contributions to this process and for your
attention!