Following Mick's format =)

** Lack of trust (aka reliability)

Mick said it best, but should also add that we have slow tests and tests
which don't do anything.  Effort is needed to improve our current tests and
to make sure future tests are stable (cleaning up works, isolation, etc.);
this is not a neglectable amount of work, nor work which can be done by a
single person.

** Lack of resources (throughput and response)

Our slowest unit tests are around 2 minutes (materialized views), our
slowest dtests (not high resource) are around 30 minutes; given enough
resources we could run unit in < 10 minutes and dtest in 30-60 minutes.

There is also another thing to point out, testing is also a combinatorics
problem; we support java 8/11 (more to come), vnode and no-vnode, security
and no security, and the list goes on.  Bugs are more likely to happen when
two features interact, so it is important to test against many combinations.

There is work going on in the community to add new kinds of tests (harry,
diff, etc.); these tests require even more resources than normal tests.

** Difficulty in use

Many people rely on CircleCI as the core CI for the project, but this has a
few issues called out in other forms: the low resource version (free) is
even more flaky than high (paid), and people get locked out (i have lost
access twice so far, others have said the same).

The thing which worries me the most is that new members to the project
won't have the high resource CircleCI plan, nor do they really have access
to Jenkins.  This puts a burden on new authors where they wait 24+ hours to
run the tests... or just not run them.

** Lack of visibility into quality

This is two things for me: commit and pre-commit.

For commit, this is more what Mick was referring to as "post-commit CI".
There are a few questions I would like to know about our current tests
(report most flaky tests, which sections of code cause the most failures,
etc.); these are hard to answer at the moment .

We don't have a good pre-commit story since it mostly relies on CircleCI.
I find that some JIRAs link CircleCI and some don't.  I find that if I
follow the CircleCI link months later (to see if the build was stable
pre-commit) that Circle fails to show the workflow.