Hi,

I built deb package for Debian from current trunk as of today and I
wanted to test cqlsh and I got this error:

me@machine:/$ python --version
Python 2.7.16
me@machine:/$ cqlsh -u cassandra -p cassandra --execute="select * from
system_auth.roles" machine
Usage: cqlsh.py [options] [host [port]]

cqlsh.py: error: 'boot' is not a valid port number.

This is Debian Buster.

Please keep in mind that _without_ "--execute" / "-e", it just
connects fine. So I think this is a bug. I am pretty sure this was
working before.

I wanted to try this against Python 3 and as I was digging deeper I
saw that there was this set of changes merged recently (1) with this
function specifically (2) Hence, I can see that there is support for
Python 3.6 and 2.7.

My question is why are we so strict when it comes to the version of Python 3?

Secondly, if this project is building debs for Debian (I suppose so),
what version of Debian it is actually built for then as there is not
3.6 version of Python out of the box for any release.

For example, quickly looking here (3), there is Python 3.7 for Buster
and 2.7 for Stretch, Jessie and even Wheezy. But no 3.6! You can check
official Python version here (4)

If I understand this correctly, this means that if one installs a deb
and he wants to run it with Python 3.6 (the only Python version this
cqlsh supports), he can not install it from repositories but he has to
chase that Python version himself and build it from source and so on
and so on ...

Could we either make this compatible with 3.7 and switch to that
version or delete so specific requirement (3.6) from the code? I
humbly think that if we distribute debs we should also say what
release we are targetting and it should be possible to install it all
by standard means from the repos.

Regards

(1)
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/commit/bf9a1d487b9ba469e8d740cf7d1cd419535a7e79