Hi everyone,

Apache release rules were made for first-class projects. I would like to
propose simplifying voting rules for in-jvm-dtest-api project [1].

A bit of background: in-jvm-dtest-api is a project that is used by all
active Cassandra branches (2.2, 3.0, 3.11, and trunk) to unify interfaces
that allows creating clusters and running tests, much like Python dtests,
just with a potential to run and develop them faster. Previously, anyone
could break API compatibility by committing to only one of the branches and
not updating the other one, which has happened on several occasions and has
went unnoticed, and has added work for people who had to bring changes to
more than one branch. This unified API and tests are particularly useful
for upgrade tests, but are also good for any kind of testing.

Since this project was made to simplify contributions to in-jvm dtests,
it'd be great if making changes to this project would actually be simple.
Before that, in order to make changes in in-jvm-dtest API, we required
only +1 from a contributor and a committer could just commit the change.

I would say that in order to cut a (minor) release of in-jvm-dtest-api you
should:

1. Get a +1 from a contributor who can review and test your change
2. Get a +1 from one of committers who are familiar with in-jvm dtests (we
have enough, I just don't want to volunteer anyone)

This will guard us from unnecessary changes, and add an extra pair of eyes
for things that influence moore than one branch, but leave us flexible
enough to be able to move forward without conducting a vote.

Since in-jvm-dtest-api is only used to test Cassandra, and isn't intended
for production purposes, this is a low-risk change in procedure. Moreover,
even if we package in-jvm-dtest-api with some Cassandra release, there will
be an additional vote on the release, where anyone who has concerns about
in-jvm-dtest-api changes can still voice them.

Please let me know if you'd like more information about in-jvm-dtest API,
or have comments about this change in procedure.

Thank you,
-- Alex
[1] https://github.com/apache/cassandra-in-jvm-dtest-api