If I understand correctly, you’re proposing to “officially support” Java 8 and
11 (i.e. remove the “experimental” tag for Java 11).
+1 on that from my side. It totally makes sense to me for 4.0.

Don’t want to hijack the original thread (as it’s just about C* 4.0), but some
thoughts about post-4.0:

Java 8 gets (probably just critical) patches until 2026 (e.g. from
adoptopenjdk, not sure about other vendors). But I suspect 2026 is really the
very last date until 8 finally gets retired. Considering that users still run
C* 2.1 (released 2014) and older, it’s probably reasonable to plan to remove
Java 8-support in the next version (i.e. 4.1) and require the last LTS Java
(11, 17, etc)  _and_ the current non-LTS (on a best-effort/experimental basis).

Especially the “new GCs” (Z, Shenandoah) and a bunch of other upcoming features
(e.g. Loom, Panama, Records) are very interesting and beneficial for the
project.

I did some experiments and a recent build works against Java 14 (and a nightly
build of 15 IIRC). A couple of unit tests need to be adopted (fix the no longer
working java.lang.ref.Field code in some unit tests) and Nashorn needs to be
replaced (it has recently been removed). It is not that much work, it just
needs to be done.

—
Robert Stupp
@snazy