> SAI will follow the same QA/Testing guideline as in CASSANDRA-15536.

CASSANDRA-15536 might set some good examples for retrospectively shoring up our
quality assurance, but offers no prescriptions for how we approach the testing
of new work.  I think the project needs to conclude the discussions that keep
being started around the "definition of done" before determining what
sufficient quality assurance looks like for this feature.

I've briefly set out some of my views in an earlier email chain that was
initiated by Josh, that unfortunately received no response.  The project is
generally very busy right now as we approach 4.0 release, which is partially I
assume why there has been no movement.  Assuming no further activity from
others, as we get closer to 4.0 (and I have more time) I will try to produce a
more formal proposal for quality assurance for the project, to be debated and
agreed.

On 18/08/2020, 12:02, "Jasonstack Zhao Yang" <jasonstack.z...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Mick thanks for your questions.

    > During the 4.0 beta phase this was intended to be addressed, i.e.>
    defining more specific QA guidelines for 4.0-rc. This would be an important
    > step towards QA guidelines for all changes and CEPs post-4.0.

    Agreed, I think CASSANDRA-15536
    <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15536> (4.0 Quality:
    Components and Test Plans) has set a good example of QA/Testing.

    >  - How will this be tested, how will its QA status and lifecycle be>
    defined? (per above)

    SAI will follow the same QA/Testing guideline as in CASSANDRA-15536.

    >  - With existing C* code needing to be changed, what is the proposed
    plan> for making those changes ensuring maintained QA, e.g. is there
    separate QA
    > cycles planned for altering the SPI before adding a new SPI
    implementation?

    The plan is to have interface changes and their new implementations to be
    reviewed/tested/merged at once to reduce overhead.

    But if having interface changes reviewed/tested/merged separately helps
    quality, I don't think anyone will object.

    > - Despite being out of scope, it would be nice to have some idea from
    the>  CEP author of when users might still choose afresh 2i or SASI over SAI

    I'd like SAI to be the only index for users, but this is a decision to be
    made by the community.

    > - Who fills the roles involved?

    Contributors that are still active on C* or related projects:

    Andres de la Peña
    Caleb Rackliffe
    Dan LaRocque
    Jason Rutherglen
    Mike Adamson
    Rocco Varela
    Zhao Yang

    I will shepherd.

    Anyone that is interested in C* index, feel free to join us at slack
    #cassandra-sai.

    > - Is there a preference to use gdoc instead of the project's wiki, and>
    why? (the CEP process suggest a wiki page, and feedback on why another
    > approach is considered better helps evolve the CEP process itself)

    Didn't notice wiki is required. Will port CEP to wiki.