I am slightly concerned about removing support for critical bug fixes
in 3.0 on a short time-frame (<1 year). I know of at least a few major
installations, including ours, who are just now able to finish
upgrades to 3.0 in production due to the number of correctness and
performance bugs introduced in that release which have only been
debugged and fixed in the past ~2 years.

I like the idea of the 3-year support cycles, but I think since
3.0/3.11/4.0 took so long to stabilize to a point folks could upgrade
to, we should reset the clock somewhat. What about the following
assuming an April 2021 4.0 cut:

4.0: Fully supported until April 2023 and high severity bugs until
April 2024 (2 year full, 1 year bugfix)
3.11: Fully supported until April 2022 and high severity bugs until
April 2023 (1 year full, 1 year bugfix).
3.0: Supported for high severity correctness/performance bugs until
April 2022 (1 year bugfix)
2.2+2.1: EOL immediately.

Then going forward we could have this nice pattern when we cut the
yearly release:
Y(n-0): Support for 3 years from now (2 full, 1 bugfix)
Y(n-1): Fully supported for 1 more year and supported for high
severity correctness/perf bugs 1 year after that (1 full, 1 bugfix)
Y(n-2): Supported for high severity correctness/bugs for 1 more year (1 bugfix)

What do you think?
-Joey