> It seems only fair to me to let these patches go in and simply thank the
contributors for their efforts and work. We can open some followup tickets
for providing those functionalities
through Virtual Tables (we are only talking about 2 patches). If nobody
else takes them, I will.

+1 Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me, we can just treat the
in-progress patches as legacy features and migrate them later to VT. I just
don't want to see the focus of this important discussion diverted to this
detail.

I think the important points to discuss are:
1) Are people OK with drawing a line after current in-progress patches are
finished and formally disallowing new features from being added to the JMX
interface, but only to VT? If not, what are the concerns and how can we
address them.
2) Are people OK with providing a hybrid support mode to nodetool, where
VirtualTable data is exposed via JMX in order to allow JMX functionality to
be progressively migrated to VirtualTables without user impact? If not,
what are the concerns and how can we address them.
3) What to do about driver support for fetching VT information about a
specific node?

What we're not discussing:
- Deprecating nodetool, since this depends on the JMX functionality to be
fully migrated to VirtualTables, a later step in the distant future.

Once we have a general agreement about these 3 points (and any other points
someone thinks it's relevant to the discussion) I can take some time to
format a CEP detailing the proposal - and we can obviously re-discuss the
details into a formal [DISCUSS] thread once the CEP is created. But this
doesn't preclude us from having a pre-CEP discussion to gather some initial
feedback about the proposal.