Yes, I think it would make sense to have the events available in a virtual
table, especially if we are trying to move our operational management in that
direction.

But, why does it need to be bin log or virtual tables?  Why not both?  The
virtual tables could even return the data stored in the bin log making them
persistent if wanted.

-Jeremiah